When it comes to determining if the current valuation of the overall stock market is expensive or cheap, the price-to-earnings ratio of the S&P 500 is one of the oldest and most frequently used metrics.
The chart below shows that a S&P 500 PE Ratio below 10 is cheap and above 20 is expensive.
How to Calculate the S&P 500 PE Ratio
To calculate a single company’s price earnings ratio you have to divide the company’s current share price by its last year’s earnings per share. To calculate the S&P 500 PE ratio you have to make a list of all the companies in the standard and poor 500 and add all their individual share prices and all their last year’s earnings per share to make the same calculation. Of course, this is far too much work. Fortunately, I found a website on which you can see today’s S&P 500 price earnings ratio, just see the note at the bottom of this page.
Note: In order to see today’s S&P 500 PE ratio you can visit: http://www.multpl.com.
You may also want to read...
- Mining Companies Analysis - Learn How to Invest in Mining Stocks. To execute your own mining companies analysis, I have created a lot of (sub)pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the mining sector.
- Oil and Gas Companies Analysis - How to Invest in Energy Stocks. I created different pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the energy sector to conduct your own analysis for oil and gas companies.
- Understanding the Stock Market - How Do Stocks Work. To help you with understanding the stock market, I have created some articles to explain how stocks work and I also reveal my own stock market analysis in this chapter.
- How to Invest in Shares - Learn How to Start Investing in Stocks. In this chapter I inform you how to invest in shares - the UndervaluedEquity.com way. I also reveal which (free) resources I use to execute my due diligence.
- How I Invest in Stocks - My Preconditions for Selecting Undervalued Stocks. In this chapter I answer the question: how do I invest in stocks? Thus, I explain which investment rules I follow whilst selecting companies for my stock portfolio.
- Stock Investment Analysis - A More Detailed Elaboration on How to Buy Stocks. When a company complies with my preconditions for selecting undervalued stocks, I will elaborate my stock investment analysis to assess the quality of it's assets, management, etc.
If my articles are helpful to you, please consider supporting my work by making a small donation...