Every investor should monitor their stock portfolio closely. Every press release, blog post or other media release can have an enormous effect on the value of your individual stock holdings. Therefore it is very important to receive news about the companies in your portfolio as soon as possible.
On this page I describe how to use a simple, but highly effective tool which can help you monitor your portfolio: Google Alerts.
Setting Up Google Alerts to Monitor Your Stock Portfolio
Google Alerts are powerful news alerts which are very easy to set up.
First, you need to go to http://www.google.com/alerts and log in with your Google account. If you don’t have a Google account yet, you should create it as you want to manage your alerts in the future.
Now you are ready to create the alerts for each of the companies in your portfolio. I recommend that you use the settings which are shown in the table below.
Monitor Your Portfolio with Google Alerts
|Google Alerts Options||Recommended Settings|
|Search query:||“Company Name“|
|How many:||All results|
|Deliver to:||“Your Email Address“|
That’s it! From now on, every time a news item is published on the world-wide-web about the specific company you created a Google Alert for, it will be delivered to your email address directly.
Note: I personally monitor my watchlist with Google Alerts too. This way I’m immediately informed about the news related to all the stocks I’m interested in. I have created an extra email address to where all the Google Alerts are sent too, so that it’s clear to me that I have to read these incoming emails at once.
You may also want to read...
- Mining Companies Analysis - Learn How to Invest in Mining Stocks. To execute your own mining companies analysis, I have created a lot of (sub)pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the mining sector.
- Oil and Gas Companies Analysis - How to Invest in Energy Stocks. I created different pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the energy sector to conduct your own analysis for oil and gas companies.
- Understanding the Stock Market - How Do Stocks Work. To help you with understanding the stock market, I have created some articles to explain how stocks work and I also reveal my own stock market analysis in this chapter.
- How to Invest in Shares - Learn How to Start Investing in Stocks. In this chapter I inform you how to invest in shares - the UndervaluedEquity.com way. I also reveal which (free) resources I use to execute my due diligence.
- How I Invest in Stocks - My Preconditions for Selecting Undervalued Stocks. In this chapter I answer the question: how do I invest in stocks? Thus, I explain which investment rules I follow whilst selecting companies for my stock portfolio.
- Stock Investment Analysis - A More Detailed Elaboration on How to Buy Stocks. When a company complies with my preconditions for selecting undervalued stocks, I will elaborate my stock investment analysis to assess the quality of it's assets, management, etc.