In the mid-1990s, the biggest scandal of all time in the mining industry shook public confidence and negatively impacted the industry’s capacity to raise capital. Bre-X reported a mineral resource of 70,000,000 troy ounces of gold which was subsequently found to be a fraudulent claim. (Detailed information about the Bre-X scandal can be found on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bre-X.) Suddenly there was an urgent need for determining specific international mining industry standards in order to minimize the risk of a future scandal.
In response, the Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum (CIM) developed the CIM Definition Standards on mineral resources & mineral reserves by reference in National Instrument 43-101 (NI 43-101), so that all estimates of mineral resources and reserves that are publicly disclosed in Canada must use these CIM Definition Standards.
The Committee for Mineral Reserves International Reporting Standards (CRIRSCO) aims to promote high standards for international public reporting of exploration results like the NI 43-101 of Canada. The members are:
Members of The Committee for Mineral Reserves International Reporting Standards
|Country||Institute||International Reporting Standards|
|Canada||Canadian Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum||National Instrument 43-101 (NI 43-101)|
|Australia||Joint Ore Reserves Committee||JORC|
|United States||Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration||SME|
|South Africa||South Africa Mineral Resource Committee||SAMREC|
|Chile||Institute of Mining Engineers of Chile||IMEC|
|Western Europe||Pan-European Reserves Reporting Committee||PERC|
|United Kingdom||Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining||IMMM|
The most frequently used international reporting standard for mineral reserves is Canada’s NI 43-101. The complete report: National Instrument 43-101: Standards of Disclosure for Mineral Projects can be found by clicking here.
You may also want to read...
- Mining Companies Analysis - Learn How to Invest in Mining Stocks. To execute your own mining companies analysis, I have created a lot of (sub)pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the mining sector.
- Oil and Gas Companies Analysis - How to Invest in Energy Stocks. I created different pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the energy sector to conduct your own analysis for oil and gas companies.
- Understanding the Stock Market - How Do Stocks Work. To help you with understanding the stock market, I have created some articles to explain how stocks work and I also reveal my own stock market analysis in this chapter.
- How to Invest in Shares - Learn How to Start Investing in Stocks. In this chapter I inform you how to invest in shares - the UndervaluedEquity.com way. I also reveal which (free) resources I use to execute my due diligence.
- How I Invest in Stocks - My Preconditions for Selecting Undervalued Stocks. In this chapter I answer the question: how do I invest in stocks? Thus, I explain which investment rules I follow whilst selecting companies for my stock portfolio.
- Stock Investment Analysis - A More Detailed Elaboration on How to Buy Stocks. When a company complies with my preconditions for selecting undervalued stocks, I will elaborate my stock investment analysis to assess the quality of it's assets, management, etc.
If my articles are helpful to you, please consider supporting my work by making a small donation...