One of the methods investors can use to help to determine the future price of gold is the Dow to Gold ratio. The Dow to Gold ratio looks at how many ounces of gold it takes to purchase all the companies in the Dow Jones index, assuming every point in the index represents one dollar.
If you are interested in my thoughts as to where I believe the Dow to Gold ratio will go to, I recommend you to read the note at the bottom of the page.
As you can see in the Dow to Gold ratio chart above1 there are periods in recent history where investors have lost confidence in paper assets. These periods come shortly after the performance of the Dow Jones index has peaked and are referred to as a financial crisis. Looking at the chart, it seems that at the end of every financial crisis the Dow to Gold ratio comes down to between 2.9 and 1.4 to 1.
How to Calculate Today’s Dow to Gold Ratio Yourself
In the following widget from LiveCharts.co.uk you will find real time market data for the Dow Jones index and the gold price:
You can calculate today’s Dow to Gold ratio yourself by dividing the value of Dow Jones index by the value of the gold price and with the outcome there are two possible conclusions:
- The price of the Dow is too high, or
- The price of Gold is too low.
Note: In today’s world governments and central banks do anything in their power in order to prevent the total collapse of the economy. Therefore I must conclude that we are in the midst of a financial crisis! This means that the price of the Dow is too high or that the price of Gold is too low. As with all things in life: the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I believe that the Dow Jones index will come down and that the price of gold will go up. Eventually, I believe the Dow to Gold ratio will come down to between 3:1 and 1:1.
You may also want to read...
- Mining Companies Analysis - Learn How to Invest in Mining Stocks. To execute your own mining companies analysis, I have created a lot of (sub)pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the mining sector.
- Oil and Gas Companies Analysis - How to Invest in Energy Stocks. I created different pages about the relevant terminology and working methods from the energy sector to conduct your own analysis for oil and gas companies.
- Understanding the Stock Market - How Do Stocks Work. To help you with understanding the stock market, I have created some articles to explain how stocks work and I also reveal my own stock market analysis in this chapter.
- How to Invest in Shares - Learn How to Start Investing in Stocks. In this chapter I inform you how to invest in shares - the UndervaluedEquity.com way. I also reveal which (free) resources I use to execute my due diligence.
- How I Invest in Stocks - My Preconditions for Selecting Undervalued Stocks. In this chapter I answer the question: how do I invest in stocks? Thus, I explain which investment rules I follow whilst selecting companies for my stock portfolio.
- Stock Investment Analysis - A More Detailed Elaboration on How to Buy Stocks. When a company complies with my preconditions for selecting undervalued stocks, I will elaborate my stock investment analysis to assess the quality of it's assets, management, etc.
If my articles are helpful to you, please consider supporting my work by making a small donation...